A support site for teachers using the Step Up To Writing Program
Quick and Dirty Tips from the Grammar Girl
Dictionary.com “A Google Gadget”
Grammar Girl Quiz
Daily Language Arts Printables
Dana Wood, a kindergarten teacher at Canyon View School and a Smartboard expert, created this wonderful toolbox to help with teaching “Accordion Paragraphs.” The toolbox contains the icons for writing expository paragraphs, colored dots, yellow stars, red dashes, and folded paper. Please note: You must have Smart Board software in order to download the materials.
Click here to access the toolbox: sutw-ic
Topic Equals Chart Template t-equal-chart
Cluster Template cluster-template
Accordion Paragraph (Folded Paper) Template folded-paper-template1
In our last Step Up training (November 17, 2009), many of you asked for the sentence writing activity that uses a picture to generate a creative, quality sentence. Here is the powerpoint for you to use. masterpiece-sentences Remember to thank Jake Burnett at Valley View Elementary for this great sentence writing activity.
- December 8, 2009 Scott Zellmer will train teachers on the Utah Formative Writing Assessment. This will be held at Canyon View School from 3:00-4:00. To participate, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- January 12, 2010 Step Up to Writing training for “Getting Them Ready for Testing.” This will be held at Canyon View School. Elementary teachers will meet from 8:30 to 12:00 and Secondary teachers will meet from 12:30 to 3:30. Please email email@example.com.
- February 16, 2010 Step Up to Writing training for “Vocabulary Development.” This will be held at Canyon View School. Elementary teachers will meet from 8:30 to 12:00 and Secondary teachers will meet from 12:30 to 3:30. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The following are rubrics for Step Up to Writing paragraph writing. These are great tools for tracking IEP progress.
Training November 17, 2009 Power Point: sutw-sentence-writing-strategies-year-10
- Strategies from the 2nd and 3rd edition of the Step Up To Writing Binder
- REWARDS Writing: Sentence Refinement
- Framing Your Thoughts
- Sentence Power
Matt Fenton, NOJH, shared a paragraph activity for adding topic sentences, adding conclusions, and analyzing paragraphs for completeness. Thanks Matt!!! Here is a link to this activity: editing-paragraphs-from-matt
Picture Prompts for Writing Masterpiece Sentences: picture-prompts-for-sentence-writing1
www.novelideas-inc.com publisher for Sentence Power curriculum
www.projectread.com publisher for Framing Your Thoughts
www.cambiumlearning.com publisher for REWARDS Writing: Sentence Refinement
Training October 13, 2009 Power Point: step-up-to-writing-training-two_20102
- Writing process
- Building paragraphs with informal outlines
- Using “Framed Paragraphs” for struggling writers
- Applying Step Up to Writing to content classes
Training September 21, 2009 Power Point step-up-to-writing-training-1-for-the-2010-year
- Basic Step Up to Writing Materials
- Introduction to Step Up
- Using Colors to Organize Writing
- Two Kinds of Writing
- Informal Outlines
http://www.asdk12.org/Middlelink/LA/writing/StepUp/ great site for videos of teachers teaching Step Up, also lots of materials available
September 8, 2009 Training
Power point matching-instruction-to-need
- alignment if the 6 Traits and Step Up to Writing
- evaluation using the 6 Traits Rubric
- Interpretation of standardized test scores
- diagnosis and identification of interventions
- model lesson for persuasive wrting by Rebecca Becker
- make and take–Persuasive Writing Folder/ Organizer