Traditional University Education Not For You?

It is important to have training to ensure that you will get the best job for you.  The following are options for students who do not desire a traditional four-year college degree; but desire a solid, rewarding career.

Culinary Arts
Applied Technology Colleges:  The training programs are two years or less.  Ogden/Weber Applied Technology College  ( ) offers a wide variety of courses.  Many of these courses can be started while a student still attends high school  See your counselor or CTE coordinator, Dave Green, for more information.
Community Colleges:  Salt Lake Community College ( ) and other community colleges in the state offer many technology related programs.  The training programs take two years or less to complete.
Business School:  Schools such as LDS Business College ( ) and Stevens-Henager College ( ) offer several programs of varying lengths of time to train.  Many programs take less than a year to complete.
Specialized Schools:  There are many specialized schools located along the Wasatch Front.  They train students for a specific occupation.  Students can get bachelor’s degrees, associate degrees or certificates depending on the training program.  Length of time varies with each program, but it is often shorter than the traditional college degree program.
Apprenticeships:  An apprenticeship is a relationship between an employer and an employee during which the worker, or apprentice, learns a trade.  The training lasts a specified length of time.  It covers all the aspects of the trade and includes both on-the-job training and related instruction.  Get more information about apprenticeships from your CTE coordinator, Dave Green, OWATC or the Department of Workforce Services.
Military:  The various military branches offer numerous ways to get training.  In the military, a student attends a tech school after basic training.  The skills gained in the military often transfer to the cilvilian setting.  College credit is commonly given to personnel for the work they do in the military.  The GI Bill is a financial benefit for people to use for training programs after they leave the military.  Click on the “Military Resources” link on the right for more info.
Department of Workforce  Provides employment services to anyone in the community.  The DWS offers vocational testing, applications, job leads, apprenticeship information, etc.
On-the Job-Training:  On-the-job training is often provided for jobs that require relatively short training periods or if the employer wants to teach very specific skills.  A high school diploma is desirable for this type of training, and may be mandatory for employment.  There are some good career opportunities in this area.  Some potential employers may be: airlines, federal government (postal workers), UPS, Fed Ex, factory machine operator, retail sales, warehousing, etc.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *